Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wonderin How Much I Can Take- In the Field

"At daybreak the platoon of 18 soldiers formed into a loose rank and began tramping side by side through the deep muck of the shit field" (page 155).
This chapter is full of suspense. I keep waiting for the real culprit of Kiowa's death, the one that lost him. This chapter is told in third person, allowing the reader to hear the many stories of that night in the field. I just kept waiting for the solider that would say something along the lines of "I was suppose to have Kiowa's back but I was busy eating a sandwich and he died"
Kiowa's death was a series of unfortunate events, and wasn't any one's fault. This death changes many of the troops. Jimmy doesn't yell at the young solider who is searching for the picture, Azar goes from making fun of death to respecting it and then all the men seem happier to be alive (see page 168)

1 comment: