Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dental Care- The Dentist

I've been to the dentist a thousand times so I know the drill, I smooth back my hair sit back in the chair. But somehow I still get the chills- Owl City "Dental Care"

The dentist with bad breath (irony?) waltzes in and brings Lemon to his knees (apparently Lemon is alive now, I hate how O'Brien jumps around his story like a jumping bean). I personally hate the dentist so I have sympathy for Lemon. However I don't understand why he's "all smiles" at the end of the chapter. He had to invent a type of pain to get over his mental anguish towards the dentist. Lemon may be only a flat character in this story (at least thus far) but he brings a a new tone to this story. How these soldiers would rather take their physical pain over mental pain. While physical pain can be come with a yanked tooth, the embarrassment of fainting in front of your troop leaves a emotional scar for long periods of time to come.

1 comment:

  1. I like the pun in that song lyric "I know the drill".

    And your point about creating physical pain to get over the mental anguish is spot-on!

    ReplyDelete