Friday, August 6, 2010

Kill or be Killed?- The Man I Killed

This chapter was rather graphic starting with the nice physical description in the beginning of the chapter, but then it gets worse. O'Brien creates this fictional life for his victim. He didn't know if this young man was from My Khe or if liked books or if he wanted to be a math teacher.
In this war you see the soldiers lean on each other, making their battle buddies another thing they carry. I really like Kiowa through this book, he seems more down to earth and connected to the feelings to the others (also he's a chatter box and I'm always impressed by extroverts like that).
Okay another tangent. Look how effected O'Brien is affected by this. how he's tormented, as he should he took someone else's life. I understand how in war one must fight in order to survive but I'm glad that O'Brien didn't take one paragraph explaining this death and spend the rest of the chapter talking about how much lighter his backpack is thanks to the ammunition he used. I'm scared for the new war tactics we have, although it's safer to separate our troops as far as we can from the battlefield, it's also making killing a lot easier. You lose that emotional tug by killing from hundred yards away. Somewhat making it easier I guess
Wonderful

1 comment: