Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Revenge's a...-The Ghost Soldiers

"I'd turn mean inside. Even a little cruel at times. For all my education, all my fine liberal values, I now felt a deep coldness inside me, something dark and beyond reason. It's a hard thing to admit, even to myself, but I was capable of evil." (page 191)
O'Brien is a great example of humans. We can act like the highest species as if we're detached from the primitive instincts that we have but we really can't. O'Brien explains that his vow to get Bobby was evil revenge eating at him but I view it a little differently. Humans are still animals. We still have those instincts, the ones we try to block because most are against social norms (examples range from revenge to peeing outside). But something like a war can strip that implanted human values and it allows the "id" of our brain to come through. For those who don't know, Sigmund Freud came up with the theory that ever human brain has a id a super ego and a ego. The id is tells us what we really want to do, the super ego tells us what's right and wrong and the ego balances the two so that we can function normally.
Any who this chapter just proves that we aren't detached, so embrace it. Run outside barefoot, go hiking and pee in the woods, pull a piratical joke and seek revenge. Live life to fullest, down with the super ego because we're only human.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I think O'Brien used this chapter to show a truth about war: it truly changes people. When your out in the wilderness on alert your primitive instincts kick in, like you said. Some people can handle it and some can't.

    ReplyDelete