Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cleaning Your Slate-Notes

"By telling stories, you objectify your own experience. You separate it from yourself. You pin down certain truths. You make up others" (Pages 152)
For the man that went from "Quang Ngai to Harvard" (page 151) I'm shocked that he's coped as well as he has. If it weren't for he's writing profession I would dare to say that he wouldn't be as over the war as he is right now. I struggle with his situation with Norman though (I love how all of my favorite characters in this book are fictional or dead). He's an accomplished author already so why didn't he tell Norman's story before now? He could of gotten the story out under a pen name or he could of just published something better. I mean what's the point of telling a story (the purpose of this story being to alleviate the pain of the events that occurred) if you aren't going to tell the true story. I mean that's like putting a Toy Story 3 band aid on a broken leg. Sure it might look nice but it sure isn't helping.
I'm glad O'Brien finally got this story out, but I'm disappointed in the story teller.

1 comment: