Wednesday, August 4, 2010

All In My Head- Stockings

"In many ways he was like America itself, big and strong, full of good intentions , a roll of fat jiggling at his belly, slow on his feet but always plodding along, always there when you needed him, a believer in the virtues of simplicity and directness of hard labor" page 111

I believe this little quote has a certain rhythm to it (drop that beat). When I read, and re-read this quote all I could think of was this steady monotone voice that was telling this chapter's story, similar to Eeyore off of Winne the Pooh. Instead of bursting a parade of patriotic pomp and circumstance off the page. O'Brien makes this very fine statement about America in a humble way (although I don't like that he called us fat, speak for yourself O'Brien).

No comments:

Post a Comment