Wednesday, August 11, 2010

15 Men on a Deadman's chest- Speaking of Courage

"I almost won the Sliver Star" (page 135)
Kiowa died in battle. It clearly affected the men, especially Norman. Kiowa was there for the men to talk to when they needed him (see "the man I killed") and he also made the men stay moral. He was the moral of this war story (up to this point) and his senseless death cause a great uproar in the life of Norman. Norman wasn't normal, he won 7 medals and even if he claims "They were for common valor. The routine stuff, daily stuff-just humping just enduring" (page 135) but I think they're worth something. He wanted to come back a true, combat-ready, courageous solider. However the death of Kiowa, and the lost of his Silver Star made him start to doubt himself. Instead of being happy to be home, he drives around the lake 12 times.
The problem with this chapter, or perhaps the book is that it's a "pure idea" (page 139) to me. I've never seen, tasted, felt, heard or carried a war. I can't imagine losing someone in a "goddamn shit field" (page 139). I can try to understand, but I can't. Norman is having a similar problem only it's opposite. He can't tell his story. This character has become one of my favorites (perhaps it's because I love a man in a decorated uniform) because he seems true UNLIKE O'Brien who can tell a great story but can't tell the truth.
One final side note, the imagery in this chapter was top notch. I loved the description of the field, lake town and the fireworks. Well done O'Brien, you storyteller, well done.

2 comments:

  1. This is true about Nroman and that probably makes his death the most tragic. He was so brave in the field and did so many great things, but he cannot get past the death of a the man who probably kept him and the rest of the Alpha company going. I think that his death had a lot to do with PTSD and he couldn't get past it because he couldn't tell anybody his story.

    ReplyDelete