Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Joker- Friends

I firmly believe this chapter is a great anecdote to illustrate the bond between battle buddies in this war. What I find mostly ironic is that these two are friends after the last chapter but that's beside the point. Even though these men face death and injury everyday and tried to fight that by trying to conquer it, hence the dreaded wheelchair wound pact on page 62 (although I'm always insanely jealous of those power wheelchairs while I'm in the grocery story). However you can see this fear once Strunk is injured, he cries and begs Jenson to let him live, wheelchair or not. Although Jenson lets him live he doesn't seem to sad that his best friend dies. In fact he was "relieved".
I think this shows another theme in this book that the men from war are dramatically changed and different from the ones at home. How the things they carry are pushing them to be different than society.

No comments:

Post a Comment