Friday, August 6, 2010

Fly Away- Church

First and foremost this book is way more accepting of religion than Hemmingway which makes this book earn a point in it's favor (score right now Hemmingway 187, O'Brien 57..make that 58). I love the way how in this chapter the monks and the troops join in a happy harmony. I mean the soldiers are attacking the monks country, but the monks don't attack them which gives me hope towards the world. Whenever I read/hear about the Vietnam war I only think about the troops destroying the towns and innocent civilians. We watched this movie in APUSH about the civil war (the main guy was played by the actor that was Ferris Buller), I can't think of the title but in a scene in this movie the African Americans are sent to destroy an innocent town. They rape pillage and burn every nook and cranny of this town.
So these monks are really a pleasant surprise. They don't attack or kill they welcome and provide for these soldiers. These monks are foils to their other countrymen (who aren't in this chapter at all but I'm sure Costello can deal with it). Peace Hope and Love
Well done random monks

1 comment: