Thursday, April 14, 2011

Doubling the Frame

"My affection for my guest increases every day." Page 26
Another one of my groups themes is doubling (similarities of action between two figures...) and one major example of doubling is between Walter and Victor. They are both driven to obsession and their quest for knowledge is more important than their lives. This is why Walter and Victor are inspired and bond together (seen in the above quote) However this example we talked about in class, so I'm not really going to focus on it.
I also kind of find a double in Elizabeth and Walter's sister. I really saw this in the couple of letters exchanged from the girls. It seems like they both have this material feelings for their boy. While both girls don't each have a romantic tie to their man (if Walter's sister had that relationship with Walter I would be VERY grossed out just because they're actually brother and sister). However their feelings shown through the letters are a parallel to each other.
This double can be seen easily due to the frame story, which is why I'm sure Mary Shelley did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment