Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And then one of my favorite things to read in class ended terribly. How typical

"He had not stopped loving her; his feelings toward he remained the same..."-Page 274
After this point my *this story isn't going to end well* senses started tingling. Up to to this point Winston just told O'Brien how life was going to defeat the Party, even if it committed suicide, how the Party will never become omnipotent. I was raising my fist to the sky and pumping the air, happy that Winston was telling O'Brien what was up. Then the cherry on the cake, Winston praised his love for Julia, and I silently congratulated Orwell for the touching love scene. Then O'Brien did nothing. He didn't get angry, thrash or scream. I then realized how Winston would never win and the rest of the story crashed around me. I know that that BB had to win in order for Orwell to get his point across but I still was disappointed in Winston for loving Big Brother, of Julia and Winston betraying each other and how they lose. However even if the ending was a terrible one, I found this book to be quite enjoyable and a great diving board for thoughts on the current. I award Mr. Orwell a 93%, sure it's not an A+, but it's enough to wave the final.

No comments:

Post a Comment