Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Worst Streets in London

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of see "Sweeney Todd" ( a interesting work to say the least) and that is the only thing I could see while reading "London". This poem just seemed like a world where the people we're trapped by their own laws. Everyone is sorry and making noise in some way (an interesting point by Christian Powers). I mean I just see the city as this dirty sorrow filled place as infants cry in fear and soldiers sigh. I half expected Todd's name to pop into the poem. However it doesn't seem that the people are stuck under one one ruler, but under many (the chartered streets). So perhaps they were making their own laws to live by (similar to O'Brien's army that lived under different rules while at war), and these English are stuck in this London right out of the mind of Jack the Riper. This isn't a place to live, but a place to fear

1 comment: