Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What's lurking in the water?

Hardy seems to carry a disappointed tone against human vanity through out this poem. Through each stanza the first two lines seem to describe the boat and the long line is the sea and with a twist of imagination one could claim that the stanzas even look like a boat on water (at least this is what my small group claims, I have yet to see it). I liked how dark this poem was, especially the line "In shadowy silent distant grew the Iceberg too." The Titanic was a scientific marvel of it's time and was a pinnacle of vanity along with science. I agree with the poem's suggestion that an Immanent Will or a God was stopping this vanity that this boat created (and apparently sea-worms crawl all over). Which reminded me of Noah's Ark, or really the flood in Noah's ark, although a boat saved Noah it didn't kill him.

No comments:

Post a Comment