Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mr. Toad and his Fat Ugly Cousin

Hoping for a poem of woodland creatures I opened my lit. book to a poem of fat ugly squatting poison filled toads. The speaker actually doesn't wish to insult the toad population (although I would enjoy reading a poem of said content) he is using the toads as an allegory and symbol of his life. The first amphibian companion of the speaker is a symbol of work. How the speaker wishes to be free but is trapped by this toad's endless squatting, and how he wishes to throw it all away and just live. Enter the 2nd toad who is the speaker's pride. As much as any human wishes to be relieved of all responsibility, we can't due to our pride. I mean I would love to live without worrying about college or a future occupation, but I don't wish to be the uneducated bum on the side of the road (along with the toads). This poem spoke a great truth that you can't get rid of one toad with the other toad squatting (and possibly pooping) on your head. One final line from this poem spoke of the overall theme of this work, and that can be found when the speaker says " To shout Stuff your pension/But I know, all too well, that's the stuff/That dreams are made on". I took this "stuff" to money and if only this man (and the world in general) to just forget it (ah the chaos that would bring mwah ha ha ha), but really we can't. Interesting thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment