Friday, June 18, 2010

The Sleeping Sun-XII

I really liked this chapter. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for hurt characters but I hated how Jake was pushed down in every chapter with the exception of this chapter and the last chapter. Jake and Bill (and the reader) actually get to know each other through other through conversation between Jake and Bill (or indirect characterization). There are several topics of conversation in this chapter but the two I'm going to hit right now is Jake and the overall Anti-Catholic feeling in this book.
Jake finally talks to someone about his wound besides Brett (although Bill's impotent comment makes me suspect that the chaps having been talking about it behind Jake's back). My heart really goes out to Bill, he doesn't push Jake down or make fun of him. In fact he turns around and tells Jake that he's a great guy and that he loves him either way (not in a sexual way of course), this little heart to heart can be found on page 120-121. He then goes into the sexual desires of the civil war, which I found somewhat funny. He never makes fun of Jake and I think in that action alone he and Jake become better friends.
Now on a completely different topic lets try to find why Hemmingway puts down Catholics throughout this book. It begins with the annoying Catholics on the train, then Jake's self pity in that Church pew. Finally in this chapter they kind of make fun of the faith found on page 126-128. Going back to Hemmingway's Wikipedia page and the back of the book I've found that he had been Catholic before his service in the army but then he stopped. Perhaps that's what he's showing here. It just seems like Jake and Bill are uncomfortable with the Catholic faith. Just thought I would point that out.

1 comment:

  1. Claire Curtis talks a bit about the Catholic stuff in her blog entries.

    ReplyDelete