Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This is getting personal

"Always in your stomach and in your skin there was a sort of protest, a feeling that you've been cheated that you had a right to" Page 59-1984


The first half of this book had been rather enjoyable. I'm a fan of people sticking up from themselves and I enjoy reading Winston realize what his life is and stand against it (seen really in the above quote). I'm sure the ending of this book will have a sad ending because it wouldn't of made it to Mr. Costello's class with a happy ending. (see every play short story and even some poetry that was read in class. I think my personal saddest story was when the small child climbs through barbed wire and the cat survives). I also enjoy the writing style of Mr. Orwell, the description is great and really transports the reader into this stale dreary world. I also love the description of the few nature scenes in this book (the edge of the cliff and the grove that Julia and Winston chill out in). It adds a flash of light in the dim lunchroom or cramp cubicle that has paper flinging into it at all times. Finally I just like Winston and Julia, they got several *cute points* when they refused to separate (when talking to O'Brien). Also the way they balance each other is rather nice and amusing.
My final praise/fear of this book is how it makes me think. Similar to Lord of the Flies this book makes me question the world around me and how society is changing. Hopefully books and ideas similar to Mr. Orwell's stops any progression to 1984's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment