Thursday, December 2, 2010

...and you may ask where did this tradition come from?... I don't know

While reading "The Lottery" I had the song "Tradition" from Fiddler on the Roof stuck in my head (Which can be heard and watch from here). This town is stuck in their ways of the lottery, or as it seems to be the first time this piece is read. However upon reading this work a second time I thought that none of the town other than Old Man Warner really supported the lottery at all, and while many people claims that the town has a "blind acceptance" to this lottery I'm convinced that the community just doesn't know how to escape their tradition. I first found this idea when the community is talking together, and they are talking about how there doesn't seem time between the lotteries any more, or how sad it is that one of the boys has to be head of the family. While this might be stepping outside of the cone, I think that the community just doesn't know what to do and that's why they accept it. They don't really believe the lottery does anything for them, they just can't get away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment