Thursday, July 1, 2010

Jake the Man- XIX

"Oh, Jake Brett said. we could have had such a damned good time together. Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me. yes I said Isn't it pretty to think so?" (page 251)
Ha HA Brett, you can't have what you want. Jake has finally moved on from you and you're boyish ways. You may dream all you want. One little bit of irony that hit me was that Brett is "not going to be one of these bitches that ruins children" (page 247) because she can't have children with Jake. Perhaps she should of thought of that one before she ran off with Robert, Mike and Roberto (and all the others that aren't named in this book).
This book alludes that men in this generation have a hard time finding their masculinity but I know that Jake is a man. Throughout the book he's grown and by the end, unlike the other males that are destroyed by Brett he ends up on top.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... I was under the impression that Jake was still sort of helplessly under Brett's spell at the end. I could be wrong, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm I took it that he was over her, but I see you're point. I don't know by this point I wanted Brett to lose so bad that I was ready for Jake to get over her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you've both figured out that the ending is ambiguous! I tend to fall on the side that he's accepted that they'll never be together.

    ReplyDelete